CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN LUIS OBISPO
School of Education, College of Science and Mathematics
EDUCATION: WITH A FOCUS ON CRITICAL PEDAGOGIES IN SECONDARY EDUCATION - The School of Education in the College of Science and Mathematics at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is seeking an outstanding candidate for a full-time, academic year, tenure track position in Education with a focus on critical pedagogies in secondary education beginning September 12, 2022. Appointment at the Assistant Professor rank is anticipated; higher ranks will be considered. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Cal Poly is a comprehensive polytechnic university combining technical and professional curricula with the arts and humanities. Having built a solid reputation with its "learn by doing" approach, it has been named by U.S. News & World Report as the top public, undergraduate/master's-level university in the West for 29 consecutive years. The School of Education is located in the College of Science and Mathematics and offers the multiple subject (elementary) credential; single subject (secondary) credentials in agriculture, biological science, chemistry, English, mathematics, modern languages, social sciences, and physics; bilingual authorization; master's degree and credential programs in educational leadership & administration and special education; and a master's degree programs in higher education counseling/student affairs and curriculum & instruction.
The single subject education program is a university-wide collaboration that serves secondary subject credential candidates. Secondary credential candidates complete a yearlong coteaching clinical experience following the school district’s calendar (August - June) while supervised by secondary faculty. Cal Poly recognizes the value of providing students preparing to be educators with expertise in working with emergent bilinguals and students with diverse learning needs. More information may be viewed at http://soe.calpoly.edu.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees, and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences, and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs out efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Responsibilities of the Position
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, student-focused, and equity-oriented individual who is committed to teacher preparation and scholarship and collaborating with faculty and K-12 district partners. The successful candidate will:
- Primarily teach secondary education program courses (see http://soe.calpoly.edu/content/program for a list of courses) and teach courses and advise student projects within the curriculum & instruction master’s degree program (see https://soe.calpoly.edu/ciprogram). Students in the secondary education program may also earn a bilingual authorization (see https://soe.calpoly.edu/content/biauthprogram for a list of courses).
- Supervise credential candidates in their yearlong clinical experience
- Maintain an active research agenda in their area of expertise
- Collaborate with secondary education faculty on program reform and annual program events
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local K-12 school districts, including providing professional development for in-service teachers
- Serve on school, college, and university committees
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Education or a related field (if ABD, doctorate must be completed by start date)
- One year of full-time teaching experience at the middle or high school level or school of equivalent status
- Demonstrated excellence or potential for excellence in teaching within a secondary education program at the university level
- Evidence of or potential for an active research agenda
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching multi-ethnic, multilingual, and/or multicultural students in middle and/or high school
- Demonstrated scholarly expertise or effectiveness teaching social justice and/or culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy at the middle and/or high school or within a secondary education program at the university level
- Demonstrated excellence as a secondary teacher with three or more years of experience
- Experience supervising credential candidates in a field experience during a secondary education program
- Experience developing and/or implementing professional development for in-service teachers
- Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish
- Hold a teaching credential or equivalent
To apply, go to https://jobs.calpoly.edu and complete a required online faculty application and submit to requisition 505763 .or the direct link is Cal Poly Jobs . Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter addressing interests and qualifications for the position, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) teaching philosophy statement, (4) research statement, (5) diversity statement, (6) unofficial transcript(s) as one document, and (7) an example of scholarly writing. These documents are not accepted in hard copy format. When completing the online faculty application, please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses. Official transcripts are required prior to appointment. Review of applications will begin December 10, 2021. Complete applications received after that date may be considered. For questions, please contact Dr. Megan Guise at email@example.com.